Behind the Scenes: November
Thread Closed 

Tears Of Guthix: Go with the Flow (Members Only)

Our first update this month is a refresh of our weekly Tears of Guthix D&D. We’ve updated the XP rewards for everyone, so that it can compete with more recently introduced ways of gaining XP, meaning that your weekly visit to Juna will be far more rewarding. If Tears of Guthix is something you’ve never tried, then this is a great reason to give it a go! We’ve also let the graphics team loose on the area, meaning that the cave, light creatures and Juna have had a spectacular facelift that’s so awesome it almost made her cry with joy.

If you’re blessed with 80 Mining and Crafting, and you’ve completed the Tears of Guthix quest, you’ll also have the brand new option of making a bigger ornate bowl to catch those precious tears, meaning yet more XP - up to five times as much you'd have got pre-update - for your lowest skill.

Dungeoneering XP Increases (Free Players & Members)

As mentioned earlier in the year, we’ve been carefully looking at the XP rates for small Dungeoneering groups, and were ready to make some changes. We’re still committed to giving the biggest rewards to groups of five players, but we’ve listened to your feedback and run countless dungeons ourselves to come up with a system that’s fairer to all.

Groups that contain fewer than five dungeoneers will receive an XP boost, with solo group XP being doubled as a minimum. Solo XP at higher levels can now reach figures of 350k per hour - possibly even higher depending on the room-raiding qualities of the adventurer. While it’s still most rewarding to explore in a group of five, those of you going it alone or in small groups will find your dungeon-delving more worthwhile than ever!

Don’t forget that this means an increase to your Dungeoneering tokens too, meaning that ever-elusive chaotic or bonecrushing equipment will finally be in your grasp.

Ariane Quests: Rune Mysteries (Free Players & Members) and Rune Memories (Members Only)

For the second time this year, we are releasing two exciting quests at the same time, focusing on one of our heroic trio of adventurers. The first of these quests will be an addition to the free game, and is a replacement for the old Rune Mysteries quest. This time, it’s Ariane’s story that’s explored, and it’s a story that reaches back to the very foundations of one of our oldest game areas – the Wizards' Tower.

Expelled for using forbidden knowledge, Ariane's returned to the Wizards' Tower to face a grave threat. It has long been known that the Wizards' Tower was built on the ruins of an older one, destroyed by a conflict between Saradominist and Zamorakian wizards, but the details have been buried for centuries. With these quests, the full story is revealed as you strive to help Ariane uncover the tower's lost secrets and save the wizards from an unknown peril.

As with the Ozan quests earlier in the year, this launch will see huge reworks of some of RuneScape’s oldest areas. The Wizards' Tower itself has been redesigned from the ground up, featuring a portal beam instead of stairs, animating bookcases and four floors of enchanted wonders. The audio team have - once again - really made the environment sing with joy and, of course, given every character a new voice. The Runecrafting Guild has also received some graphical spit and polish, so do make sure you pop by to visit.

Rewards for this rune-riffic extravaganza include new titles, new mage outfits, a new mage weapon for low-level players and rune essence rewards that grow as your Runecrafting levels increase! There will also be additional, hidden rewards for higher-level players.

Gravestones Improvements (Free Players & Members)

Another update this month inspired by player feedback is an update to the gravestones in the game, or - more specifically - the way in which you interact with gravestones after an unfortunate encounter with death. We’ve created an interface to hold your items rather than drop them all to the floor, meaning it’s far easier to pick and choose what you wish to take, rather than picking from a list of items. We’ve also added a “take all” and a “re-equip all” button, which should help you get back to the action after reaching the site of your untimely demise. Of course, Death himself wanted a “reap-all” button, but we decided against that.

Make X (Free Players & Members)

Perhaps the largest update this month, and certainly something that every player will use on a daily basis, is a complete overhaul to the interfaces and systems used when making items. It takes all the information about item production - experience, value, Grand Exchange and Alchemy prices, skill and item requirements - and presents them in one place. This means you won’t have to frantically check through skill guides or websites just to work out how to train those precious skills. It also includes some brand new features (as well as maintaining the older ones) like being able to clean inventory-loads of herbs.

Combat Academy and Beta Access for All (Free Players & Members)

We will soon be launching the tutorial for the Evolution of Combat into our beta worlds, and will be opening those worlds to every single player. The Combat Academy - as it's called - is a great way to learn how the new combat system is going to work. To encourage you to try it out, we’re offering a generous XP reward to the live account of players who complete both the Combat Academy and a quick in-game poll. These tutorials will be located in Lumbridge just north of the castle and are quick and simple to master, so do log in and let us know what you think. We thrive on your feedback, so the more people involved, the better. The new combat system is almost ready for launch, so this is your best chance to be ahead of the crowd!

Solomon's General Store & Squeal of Fortune (Free Players & Members)

Solomon's Store is packed to the rafters with cool cosmetic gear this month. First up, the Dragon Keepsake Box goes on sale. This nifty gadget allows you to turn any item into a cosmetic reskin for its usual slot, so you can take on Nex with your p-hat perched proudly on your head.

Later this month, Solomon's also stocking the first hero packs, which include costume and weapon reskins and teleport animations fashioned after iconic RuneScape heroes. With these, you can rock that Ozan panache or wield magic with beguiling style like Ariane.

Yelps is getting in on the action too, with replay tokens for your favourite D&Ds cropping up on the Squeal of Fortune. Another monthly run at the Troll Invasion? An extra weekly bash at the Circus or the newly reworked Tears of Guthix? Don't mind if I do!

Full details are coming later in the month, so keep an eye on the news and on the forums.

Have fun!

Mod Mark
[Image: 7gfS0.png]
[Image: W_aldo.png]

"If everybody helps his neighbour then who needs help?"

Member of the Year - Member of the Month - TOTM Winner - Fight for Surreal's Top Skiller

This month sounds like a solid month. I am pretty stoked for it.

Tears of Guthix update.. excellent
Dungeoneering update.. about damn time!
Ariane quests.. YAy!
Gravestone update.. great update idea
new interface.. sounds promising
[Image: pmRHyWO.png]
[Image: user1-dark.png][Image: user1-dark.png]
Feel free to contact me any time about anything Biggrin <3 
Seriously everything about this update looks good. Finally.
[Image: Srl_Deadly.png]

[Image: dick.png]

I really think Jagex loves me. xD Literally as I was about to look at applications for a dungeoneering clan to train my skill to 99, they come out with this. I am super excited for this now (I don't hate the skill like alot of ppl with low DG, I just don't have access to good teams, plus training solo is less stressful, and I don't have to feel bad for leaving midway).

The other stuff looks sweet too, excited for the ToG XP boost, quests look ok (recently been too into skilling for them), gravestone update is very nice and I do not know what to think of the Make X thing until I see it.

So for now 5/5..could be 4/5 if Make X turns out bad..but either way I am very pleased with this. Good Yahoo

P.S. Sorry for slacking with the RS updates, I will try and do more of them! Though if any staff see I haven't posted one, feel free to do so.
[Image: 7gfS0.png]
[Image: W_aldo.png]

"If everybody helps his neighbour then who needs help?"

Member of the Year - Member of the Month - TOTM Winner - Fight for Surreal's Top Skiller

Awesome month, looks like I'll finally be going for 120 dungeoneering.
Next month's BTS: All skills are now to 120.

Might aswell, they're making the game easy enough to do so -_-...
(2012-11-02 00:14:47)Danny Wrote:  Next month's BTS: All skills are now to 120.

Might aswell, they're making the game easy enough to do so -_-...

If you saw the future of runescape livestream you'd know they're holding off on that until I am closer to maxing.
[Image: motm.png]
[Image: 0ddb418f4b.png]

"The only thing an adult can give a child is a yellow cape." - Chuck Jones
I like the look of all of this. In a way it's sad that 99's are becoming easier, but really, it's been trending this way for so long that exp rate boosts can hardly be a surprise. I for one am happy to see that solo dungeoneering finally can at least compare to team training.
[Image: evaluate-staff.png] 
Have a question? My PM is always ON.
Finally we can do dung without having a full 5 ((((:
Massive month ahead. I haven't read a BTS this good in quite sometime. Hopefully everything turns out to be as good as they're making it out to be. I'm probably most excited about the Solo/Small Team Dungeoneering XP boosts - no more having to rely on idiots! Like CJ mentioned, 120 Dungeoneering suddenly seems like it could become possible smile

Not so sure about the Make-X option.. I get the feeling a lot more things are going to become afk'able.
Adventurer's Log | Exp Tracker | Goals & Achievements
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  June - Behind the scenes Shawn 6 4,975 2015-06-06 03:35:10
Last Post: Gohankuten
  [BTS] November 2014 Ava 0 2,359 2014-11-05 20:49:05
Last Post: Ava
  September Behind the Scenes Downfall 10 9,059 2014-09-01 09:08:00
Last Post: Debs
  Behind the Scenes - March 2014 Gohankuten 2 3,205 2014-03-01 07:39:04
Last Post: Shawn
  Behind the Scenes - February 2014 Gohankuten 8 6,439 2014-02-04 03:51:08
Last Post: Ava